CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Riding Horses


We just returned from a wonderful trip up to Washington and Montana.  I think the girls are going to take after their mom in their love of riding.  We were able to ride horses at Papa Ric's a few times and both girls enjoyed the ride.  Elsie is now able to ride by herself and have full control over a horse in a round pen.  She was able to tell Gambler (horse) to walk the circle, stop, walk backwards, turn to the center and stop in the middle of the pen and then turn in a tight circle.  She didn't quite enjoy the faster pace of trotting, but I think next year she may get there.  She was able to ride along with Papa Ric on her first little trail ride and we even saw some deer out in the wheat fields while on our ride.  Jolie enjoyed getting close to the horses, but at times was very uncertain of actually riding them.  Although anytime her sister was on the horse, she fussed to have her turn.  She looks so little up on the back of Gambler.  While we were at Skyler's brother's house in Montana, Jolie fell in love with their very large Blue Roan named "Blue."  I think she liked Blue the best because she could say his name, but she always had to go say Hi to Blue.  I also love the horses and feel very grateful that we get the opportunity to ride while we are visiting.  Thanks Papa Ric!


This picture was taken right after our trail ride.  Elsie is riding with Papa Ric on Gambler and I am riding on Clay.  Clay was born right before my very first trip up to Cheney, WA nine years ago.  So it is fun to watch him get older and now be able to ride him.  He was a Stallion for many years, but now he is calmed and I am able to ride him.
Jolie is riding on Gambler all by herself, although Daddy is just outside the picture frame.


Skyler and I are out riding on the pasture land across from Ric's property.  It is grazing land.  I am riding Shooter, one of the horses Ric has in for training.  While we were out on the ride, we came across a fairly small stream and the horses were hesitant to cross it.  Ric says to me, "You may want to hold onto the saddle horn because Shooter may jump."  So as his horse was taking the jump, all the sudden Shooter and I were flying through the air and we hit the ground about 6 feet on the other side of this little stream.  Needless to say I was a little shaken up, but I hung on and I only had a sore neck for the next week or so.  I don't think I am cut out ride jumping horses.  


Here is Elsie on Gambler working him out in the round pen.  Look at the smile on her face.  

 
Jolie wanted her turn to ride, so Daddy took her for a ride up the driveway and back.



0 comments: